High Middle Ages
Chapter 13 Exam Name:
TRUE / NOT TRUE. If the statement is entirely TRUE, then write “T”
on the answer sheet. If the statement is partially or completely false,
write “F” on the answer sheet.
1) The Black Death refers to the famine of 1315-1317.
2) The Hundred Years War was started by Spain.
3) The first humanists were physical scientists.
4) The Black Death caused the end of the Hundred Years War.
5) Machiavelli thought it was most important for a leader to be loved by
6) Joan of Arc inspired England to repel the French, as French fighters began
to attack London.
7) The humanists did not prefer to study from authoritative texts, instead
they went directly to the source of the knowledge.
8) Intellectual, athletic, and musical – complemented with good manners
& moral character – was the goal of a humanist education.
9) During the Black Death, some people beat themselves in order to do penance
and repay their sins.
10) Edward III, King of England, claims the French throne when Charles IV
(son of Philip the Fair) dies without a male heir – this action is
not supported by the French Barons and thus is a cause of the hundred years
Multiple Choice. Choose the BEST answer.
11) At the outset of the Hundred Years' War:
a) England was wealthier.
b) France had a larger population.
c) The English navy ruled the seas.
d) France was superior militarily.
12) Which of the following is not a renaissance painter or sculpture?
b) Da Vinci
d) El Grecco
13) Among the social and economic consequences of the bubonic plague were
a) Shrunken labor supply.
b) Decline in the price of luxury and manufactured goods.
c) Rise in agricultural prices.
d) Fewer available residences in the towns & cities
14) One of the best-known works of the Italian Renaissance was the Decameron,
15) Which of the following best describes the situation in Flanders at the
outset of the Hundred Years War?
a) Wine prices had increased, so England invaded Flanders in order to control
b) French Barons had signed private alliances with the Spanish King, so the
French king’s soldiers surround the town of Flanders until they surrender.
c) Flanders had grown to be the industrial center of northern Europe and
had become extremely wealthy through its cloth manufacture; it had developed
an economic relationship with England.
d) Flanders had become the center of fashion in northern Europe. English
& French nobility often met in Flanders to discuss issues. There
were several attempts on the lives of the nobility – and this contributed
to the tensions between England, Spain & France.
16) Joan of Arc gave the people and armies of France:
a) An alliance with Flanders.
b) A unique inspiration and mystical confidence in the concept of France
as a nation.
c) A legitimate heir to the throne of France.
d) The support of the Church and papal financial contributions.
17) Which of the following is not true about the Black Death?
a) plague killed many of the clergy (perhaps 1/3 of them)
b) some people wanted the best: jewelry, furs, & silks
c) Farm land was converted to sheep herds
d) Peasants temporarily seized power of the central governments in France
18) Which of the following is not true about the humanist philosophy?
a) it led to a re-birth in Catholic faith
b) it stressed the importance civic responsibility & political liberty
c) it stressed scholarship for its for the sake of learning
d) it led to the study of Greek & Roman Classics
19) What led to the French victories that pushed England out of France at
the conclusion of the Hundred Years War?
a) peasant rebellions in England
b) a treaty with the Spanish
c) the birth of French pride & nationalism – removing the internal
arguments within France
d) the Black Death
20) Machiavelli wrote about politics – which of the following best
describes Machiavelli’s views?
a) the wealthy have the God given right to rule the poor
b) the government should be protected by any means necessary
c) intelligence should not be used to determine a leader or ruler
d) the people should rule themselves, as in Greek & Roman governments
Matching. Match the historical figure with the characteristic which
best describes them.
21) Charles VII a) King of England at the outset
of the Hundred Years War
22) Edward III b) the heir to the French Throne,
who temporarily loses his throne in a treaty w/ England
23) Henry V c) English successor to the French
Throne, who dies before he is able to be crowned
24) Machiavelli a) wrote the Divine Comedy
25) Dante b) wrote the Prince
26) Michelangelo c) Renaissance Painter who painted
the Sistine Chapel