Robber Barons & Rebels
Zinn, Reading Guide #1 (247-259)
Due Friday, February 14th
1. What does Zinn mean by ‘separate levels of
2. What does Zinn say with regard to the Alger
stories of “rags to riches”?
3. What evidence does Zinn offer for stating the
‘first transcontinental railroad was built with blood, sweat, politics,
4. Summarize the biographic notes on J.P. Morgan.
5. Summarize the biographic notes on John D.
6. Summarize the biographic notes on Andrew Carnegie.
7. What does Marx submit as the purpose of the state?
8. What are the policies of the Presidents during
these times? Do they change from election to election?
9. What is the Sherman Act & How did the Supreme
Court interpret it?
10. Zinn discusses education and its role in the
state. Summarize his views.