VIDEO GUIDE & QUESTIONS
Lexington / Concord battle initiates Revolution (fighting)
May 1775 2nd Continental Congress
- forms national army
- John Adams nominates George Washington
Why choose Washington?
Why is Washington NOT a good choice?
- British lose lots of men, uphill fighting
- Patriots flee when ammunition runs out
- British victory costly
Washington takes charge of army
- Blacks & Whites together
- 20% of the entire army is Black
- if a slave fights they get their freedom
What kind of "army" does Washington have?
The Olive Branch petition
- King George gets "double message"
- Americans declared enemies
Thomas Paine’s "Common Sense"
- rage against privileged classes
- best seller
Why is Paine not like other "Patriots"?
What does Paine want (with regard to government)?
A new form of Government
- A. Adams wants her husband to remember the women
- New flag still contains the British Union Jack
March 1776 – British regroup to attack New York
Declaration of Independence
- committee – B. Franklin, J. Adams, & T. Jefferson
- Jefferson writes, congress debates – leaving preamble intact
- Permissive doctrine...used later in ways not intended or conceived by signers
War of Ideas – a political war